Re: Updating the rules?

> Also from the draft:
> "At least for the strong security requirement of BCP 61 [RFC3365], the
> Security Area, with the support of the IESG, has insisted that all
> specifications include at least one mandatory-to-implement strong
> security mechanism to guarantee universal interoperability."
>
> I do not think this is a factual statement, at least when it comes to
> HTTP, which is where my interest lies.
note that it is not necessary to have at least one
mandatory-to-implement strong security mechanism to guarantee
interoperability.  consider, for example, a client-server protocol for
which conforming servers are required to implement
_two_ strong security methods and for which clients are required to
implement _at least one_ of those two methods.  this
would ensure interoperability even though there were no single
mandatory-to-implement for clients.

depending on the circumstances, putting a greater burden on the server
than the client, or vice versa, might make sense.

Keith