Re: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

Dave Crocker writes:
Bob Hinden wrote:
Maybe we are getting to the point in time where we should only have IPv6 at IETF meetings or it that's premature run IPv4 behind a couple of layers of NAT.

On the theory that the ietf meeting net is for production services, wouldn't it make sense to have the time to cut over to pure ipv6 be when production use of ipv4 becomes minimal?

IMNSHO, the sensible time is to do it when the relevant RIR runs out of addresses. I'm sure the IETF can get a couple of thousand IPv4 addresses for temporary use even years after that time, but it would seem a little hypocritical to do so.

The network at both of IETF meetings I've attended felt a little archaic: abundant addresses, no paperwork, no firewall, no NAT.

Arnt