Re: Domain Centric Administration, RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-natpt-to-historic-00.txt

> > From: itojun@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:itojun@xxxxxxxxxx]=20
>
> >=20
> > >Its not exactly a surprise, folk seem to place a higher premium on=20
> > >shooting NAT than anything else. Meanwhile the vast majority of=20
> > >residential broadband access is behind NAT.
> > >
> > >And from a security point I want to see as much NAT as possible.=20
> > >Without NAT we would be in a much worse situation security=20
> > wise than we=20
> > >are today. NAT is a blunt instrument but it shuts down=20
> > inbound server=20
> > >connects. And that is such a good thing from the point of view of=20
> > >stopping propagation of network worms.
> > (snip)
> >=20
> > 	a few points.  IPv6 technology really needs to be demystified.
> >=20
> > 	you do not have to rewrite IP address to ensure that there's no
> > 	inbound connections.  you just have to have a packet=20
> > filter which
> > 	watches/drops TCP SYN or whatever alike.  if you do not=20
> > have enough
> > 	address space to serve your enterprise, it is a good=20
> > reason to use
> > 	IPv6 :-)
>
> My point here is that the principal objection being raised to NAT, the =
> limitation on network connectivity is precisely the reason why it is =
> beneficial.
>
> There is no other device that can provide me with a lightweight firewall =
> for $50.

	We ask for one.  Don't say "I want NAT" say "I want a
	stateful firewall".  That's what you are really asking for
	and getting a lot of other @#$%%n in the process.

	Every $50 PNAT vendor could deliver you a stateful firewall
	at the same price point.  It's only a matter of removing the
	address translation.

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx