RE: Should not URIs be resources and not actions

> From: Daniel Aleksandersen [mailto:aleksandersen+ietf@xxxxxxxxxx]

> Hi,
>
> "Uniform Resource Identifier schemas describe resources. Why
> then are some of the themost popular URIs schemas named as actions?
>
> mailto: is an action, whilst email: is a resource. The first
> is the standard and widely supported, and the second is not
> the standard and is not supported by a single application.
>
> Another example:
> tel: is a resource, whilst callto: is an action. The second
> is supported by Skype (a popular calling software) but is not
> a standard, and the first is the standard but not supported
> by a single application.

The reason is historical, nothing more.

The tag mailto was used to differentiate a mail message from the action of sending a mail. At the time we had a somewhat functional view of the web and uris. Mailto was actually implemented by running a script via termcap.

There is something of a case that can be made for differentiating the mode of communiction: mailto, jabberto etc. Mailto can take a subject argument for instance. But its not a case I would argue for myself. The parameters are much better handled in other ways. The mailto URI should be regarded as a generalized contact identifier for a person or a group of people.