Re: [XCON] Re: tsv-dir review of draft-ietf-xcon-bfcp-connection-04

At Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:07:10 -0400,
Brian Rosen wrote:

> Minor nit on the last part:
>     When the keys are randomly generated and of sufficient length,
>     these attacks do not obtain
>
> "obtain" doesn't work.  Either "do not succeed" or "generally do not
> succeed" or even "usually fail".

Actually, I think obtain is fine (though a bit obscure) here.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/obtain

3. (intransitive): To prevail; to succeed.
4. (intransitive): To exist

    Even though the Pervaise confession had never come to light, no reasonable doubt could obtain; for the act in question [...] was on a par with countless other acts committed by the oligarchs, and, before them, by the capitalists. -- Jack London, The Iron Heel.

The more common replacement would be "apply".

-Ekr