Re: Withdrawing sponsorship of draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

> > Nothing prevents the document from being submitted directly to
> > the RFC Editor, for publication as a non-IETF document.

> That is the avenue I would prefer, but it raises another issue
> (which I think would fall into the category Eliot referred to as
> <a corner in the process>).   As Sam points out, the actual use
> of this as a protocol requires IANA registration of parameters
> and current procedures for TLS extensions and many other things
> require IETF consensus for such registrations and hence for
> publication of any document that specifies, or requests IANA
> registration of, such parameters.

To be clear, in this particular case, is there no room for getting
assignments out of a vendor-specific case? That escape clause is in
many name spaces...

I am all-too-aware that there are corner cases that come up where the
actual IANA considerations rules don't really handle a situation
well. Even when WGs/authors do to right good IANA Considerations, the
reality is that its hard to think of all things in
advance. Consequently,
draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-06.txt added a new rule
(not in 2434) designed to cover such cases:

5.3.  Overriding Registration Procedures

   Since RFC 2434 was published, experience has shown that the
   documented IANA considerations for individual protocols do not always
   adequately cover the reality on the ground. For example, many older
   routing protocols do not have documented, detailed IANA
   considerations. In addition, documented IANA considerations are
   sometimes found to be too stringent to allow even working group
   documents (for which there is strong consensus) to obtain code points
   from IANA in advance of actual RFC publication.  In other cases, the
   documented procedures are unclear or neglected to cover all the
   cases. In order to allow assignments in individual cases where there
   is strong IETF consensus that an allocation should go forward, but
   the documented procedures do not support such an assignment, the IESG
   is granted authority to approve assignments in such cases. The
   intention is not to overrule properly documented procedures, or to
   obviate the need for protocols to properly document their IANA
   Considerations. Instead, the intention is to permit assignments in
   individual cases where it is obvious that the assignment should just
   be made, but updating the IANA process just to assign a particular
   code point is viewed as too heavy a burden.

   In general, the IETF would like to see deficient IANA registration
   procedures for a namespace revised through the IETF standards
   process, but not at the cost of unreasonable delay for needed
   assignments. If the IESG has had to take the action in this section,
   it is a strong indicator that the IANA registration procedures should
   be updated, possibly in parallel with ongoing protocol work.

If the above text were in effect today, would it be sufficient to
cover the situation at issue here? (Now would be an excellent time to
consider updates/clarifications to the above text.)

Thomas