Re: IANA registration constraints (was: Re: Withdrawing sponsorship...)

John Klensin,

You wrote:

  *>
  *> I think real specifications of what the requested parameter will
  *> mean and be used for are important.  I think there is a
  *> difference between registering a parameter for a non-standard
  *> specification that is already deployed and in successful use and
  *> registering one for a wild idea by one person.

I would note that the purveyors of a "non-standard specification that
is already deployed and in successful use" must have somehow obtained
their own number assignment without the IANA's help, or this situation
could not arise.  And before that specification was successfully
deployed, it may well have been "a wild idea".

There seems to be a logical disconnect here.  What am I missing?

Bob Braden