From:   Lakshminath Dondeti [mailto:ldondeti@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:14 PM Pacific Standard Time
To:     Michael Thomas
Cc:     Hallam-Baker, Phillip; Brian E Carpenter; John C Klensin; IETF Discussion; Jeffrey Hutzelman
Subject:        Re: consensus and anonymity

Excellent point about the disconnect between meeting room hums and
opinions on the lists.

But, I wonder why anonymity is an important requirement.  The mailing
list verification has at least two properties that are more important to
the IETF: the archives provide for anyone to be able to verify the
consensus independent of the IETF hierarchy (chairs, ADs and whoever);
further the archives provide a means to verify the consistency of any
IETF participant, chairs or ADs at any given moment, candidates for WG
chair and I* positions, and anyone in general.

The IETF should be more transparent and allow at least a distributed
verification process and not a centralized hierarchical process.

Lakshminath