draft-hartman-webauth-phishing-03.txt

Sam,

I've reviewed draft-hartman-webauth-phishing-03.txt. In general I agree with the tone of it in terms of how to address these sorts of threats. However, I have a problem with its scope. The problem you discuss extends well beyond just HTTP already. Furthermore, your assumption that the computer is secure is a bad one. I'm not saying that we should require smart cards, as a matter of threat analysis, you should allow for the idea that the computer may not be secure, and hence allow for approaches that address that problem. Note I did not say "require". However, you need to consider your other requirements in the context of such approaches.

I also think Section 4.1 is unnecessary. Attempting to simply repair passwords is one legitimate approach, but it shouldn't be the only one. In fact, I would argue that you are setting up users for very serious problems by perpetuating an approach that requires them to either write down their passwords or use the same one for multiple sites. This section, IMHO represents a requirement for poor modularity.

Also, you have a number of editorial oddities. A "Google paper" should be treated as any other reference, for instance. Finally, quite a number of your requirements are unclear. See for instance your first sentence in 4.1. The second phrase is mystifying.

I would appreciate the opportunity to work with you on the above issues, as well as improve your introduction, which I believe warrants some additional effort (I am tempted to ask that you include a glossary), but I do not support this document moving forward at this time, although I do support it moving forward once these issues are addressed.

Thanks,

Eliot