Re: Use of LWSP in ABNF -- consensus call

--On Wednesday, 16 May, 2007 17:21 -0700 Douglas Otis
<dotis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Although LWSP has been placed within "core rules", LWSP is
> _not_ a rule core to the ABNF definition of ABNF.   LWSP is
> _not_ essential.  Deprecating this macro does _not_ impact the
> definition of ABNF.  This macro can be deprecated to ensure it
> will not promote use of this construct, nor should this macro
> be used to supplant other definitions.  The LWSP jersey can be
> retired without damaging the definition of ABNF or otherwise
> limiting the future use of ABNF.

Doug, if people want to do it, I would have no problems adding a
comment to any construction (including built-in productions) in
ABNF that has proven dangerous warning people that they should
understand it and its consequences before they use it.  I would
have no problems if that note made it clear that use of LWSP in
a context in which it could end up on a line by itself (in a
context in which "lines" are significant) can be particularly
problematic.

I see those options as very different from deprecating something
that is used successfully and correctly in a number of standards
and incorporated into them by reference.   Since it is in use,
and the definition is actually quite clear, deprecating it seems
completely inappropriate.

     john