RE: Fwd: Pingsta Invitation

> From: John C Klensin [mailto:john-ietf@xxxxxxx]
> --On Monday, 26 March, 2007 11:02 -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip"
> <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Observation: Many IETF-ers have entries in Linked-In ...
>
> > Regret: We did not get out ahead of the curve with Instant
> Messaging.
> > We should have done Jabber in 1995.
>
> Depends on what you count and a whole series of questions
> about timing and expectations.  SEND/ SAML/ SOML provided a
> network-based "instant message" facility by 1982.  The TALK
> protocol dates from very early version of U**x.

By 'getting ahead of' I meant in deployment. Clearly IRC was on the table and successful. But not really ready for prime time (and still is not).

> And, until
> people started considering it to be a security and privacy
> risk, the finger protocol provided a fairly decent indication
> of presence.

The response to the security issues was to drop the protocol entirely, not fix it.

> Of course, as soon as you tied your identity to email
> addresses and domain names, you get entangled with the
> identifier internationalization issues that were discussed in last
> Thursday's plenary.   Perhaps using an internationalized
> identifier, by itself, increases the odds that the only
> people who are likely to be able to try to contact you are
> already part of your social (or at least  cultural and
> linguistic) network, but I doubt that is what you had in mind.

I don't quite see I18N issues the same way. I think that we can have muiltiple addresses.

For practical purposes we accept a restriction in the telephone world to the numbers 0-9 with a couple of control characters (+, *, #). I suspect we end up with a practical requirement for a LATIN-1 plus alphanum address as a commonly supported minimum standard indefinitely.

If I can also be reached via a UNICODE address so much the better.