RE: NATs as firewalls

> How do we establish the political coalition necessary to act?

1. Form a political coalition.
2. Get an existing coalition such as MAAWG to take on the work.
3. Get the USISPA to take on the work http://www.usispa.org/
4. Get the USIIA to take on the work http://www.usiia.org/
5. Get the USISPA, USIIA and MAAWG to join forces and take on the work.

Choose one...

> There is clearly additional discussion necessary within the
> IETF community to achieve a measure of consensus. I agree
> that the IETF list is not the place for that.

Yep.

> We need more than just consensus in the IETF though. We need
> to convince the ISPs to act who in turn must persuade the
> vendors of SOHO routers.

Writing the spec of a SOHO gateway could be done in the IETF because it
is primarily a technical document. It is analogous to work the IETF has
done before.

--Michael Dillon