RE: SMTP compared to IM (Re: DNS Choices: Was: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys)

Before the web it was possible to be on a different network and still exchange email. It did not work at all well but it did work sorta.

Even though the web did in theory work on other protocols (I ran a server on HEPNET) most of the content was on the Internet.

So there was a different value proposition when someone proposed getting an Internet connection. People could no longer be fobbed off with 'The JANET gateway already allows you to exchange mail with the Internet, its cloured books for you until we deploy OSI'.