Re: IM and Presence history

Simon Leinen wrote:
Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:
Incidentally, it does need to be harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and not
harald.alvestrand@xxxxxxxxxx Google, Yahoo and co need to stop
trying to turn us into serfs by refusing to allow us to own our own
online identity. Stop trying to make a service sticky by making it
costly to switch providers.
I don't know about Yahoo! and co., but Google has a
"bring-your-own-domain" version of some of its services, including
Gmail, see: http://www.google.com/a/ - which allows exactly that.

Disclaimer: This is in beta like so much of Google's stuff, and new
users have to be "approved" - worked instantly for me.  And I don't
have Google shares or something... just a happy user (I almost said
customer... it's easy to forget that Google's users aren't their
customers but their "merchandise" :-).  And my employer provides
DNS-related services.
one nice thing about the schema/protocol being part of the naming scheme is that it does *not* tie me to a single provider for all services - my jabber service for harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx is provisioned from someone who's got no relationship at all to my mail and web services.

                    Harald