Re: Something better than DNS?

> Beware academic speculation, it has a tendency to obsess on the
> exact wrong thing.

Indeed.  (And I should know, having taken eight years to get my PhD.)

>From a technical point of view, the registry/registrar model works
fine.  I have plenty of bad things to say about VRSN, but it is hard
to deny that their registry is very reliable and plenty fast, despite
having a TLD zone that is probably four orders of magnitude bigger
than anyone imagined when the DNS was designed.  It is even surviving
the completely needless crisis of domain tasting, with millions of
unpaid domains added and deleted every day.

The problems are all political and administrative.  Registries charge
six bucks per domain, while their actual cost is more like a quarter,
and ICANN in their grand naivete appears poised to let them all raise
the price rather than pushing it down toward cost.  Registries' primary
goal is to make money rather than to serve their clients, so there's
constant pressure to steal traffic with wildcards, sell traffic data to
the highest bidder, and other user-hostile antics.

When I first proposed the registry/registrar model in 1996, I assumed
that the registries would be co-ops owned by the registrars and run to
recover costs, exactly to prevent the sorts of problems we see with
registries whose interests are opposed to their registrars.  Too bad
people only seem to have read the first half of my paper.

But it's not just registry/registrar issues.

As someone noted a few days ago, ICANN and the current roots have yet
to address the issues related to IDNs.  There's only one significant
technical issue, mapping non-unique Unicode strings into unique DNS
names, and we seem finally to be getting a handle on that.  But
there's a raft of significant non-technical issues to address as well.
Should registries prevent registrations of homographs, and if so, what
rule(s) do you use to define homographs, and what do you do when you
find them?  If we add non-English TLDs, do we add a hundred local
language equivalents of com, org, net, and so forth?  If we do, are
they aliases for each other, or do we suddenly get 300 new TLDs?

ICANN has not to date dealt very effectively with these issues, but
they are real issues that will have a great effect on people who use
the DNS every day, and they're not technical issues, since all of the
alternatives are equally feasible technically.

So, basically, I'm not sure what people are arguing about here.  The DNS
of 2006 is not the DNS of 1992.  Deal with it, we're not going back.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.