Re: Something better than DNS?

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 12:39:59PM -0500,
 Emin Gun Sirer <egs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 99 lines which said:

> the name hierarchy and the server hierarchy are intertwined. This
> leads to a natural monopoly. Suppose you want a .COM name, but also
> want to boycott VeriSign over SiteFinder?

You are playing with words. CoDoNS separates name service and name
delegation but there is still a monopoly on the name delegation, which
is the important stuff.

> - With CoDoNS+DNSSEC, the natural namespace monopoly is gone.

False. CoDoNS does not magically allow me to register microsoft.com
and have it distributed to the world.

> Naturally, R1 and R2 will have to cooperate to not issue conflicting
> bindings for the same name.

That's the problem with most "one namespace, several registries"
proposals. There is still a registry to coordinate the so-called
"several registries" so you're back to step 1.