Re: Something better than DNS?

On Nov 22, 2006, at 7:42 AM, Pekka Savola wrote:

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Keith Moore wrote:

DNS is getting very long in the tooth, and is entirely too inflexible and too fragile. The very fact that we're having a discussion about whether it makes more sense to add a new RR type or use TXT records with DKIM is a clear indicator that something seriously is wrong with DNS. Adding a new RR type should not require a single line of DNS server or client library code to be recompiled, nor any changes to the configuration of any server not advertising such records.

Keith,

I've seen you say this for many years now, but I'll bite now. Do you have ideas what a more flexible, less fragile, and in general a better mechanism would:

 1) be or look like, or

 2) what requirements we should have for building and deploying it?
    (if such a thing or a close likeness doesn't exist)

I wonder if there are practical alternatives. A bit more dialogue on "what else" instead of "DNS is a bad idea" might help in figuring out whether there is anything the IETF could do about it.

There is a new method for using names to navigate the Internet. It is based upon a proprietary application added to network stacks distributed on millions of systems forming a loosely coupled matrix. This application is now available for XP from Microsoft and will be included within Vista. This name resolution application does not rely upon DNS, and assigns unique public keys based upon your drive's serial number for example, along with an IPv6 address tused in conjunction with RFC 4380 across IPv4. This application is able to navigate past corporate firewalls and directly connect computers together within LANs or using adhoc wireless, all without user intervention. This does not require an centralized registry, and permits the use of DNSified names freely assigned to various systems.

This proprietary application is targeting a 10 billion dollar gaming market, but will support file sharing and interactive collaboration applications. It also looks to be the perfect tool for running bot- nets as well.

A fun site that reviews this topic:
http://www.ppcn.net/n1358c38.aspx

-Doug