Re: nomcom and confidentiality

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:19:39 -0800, Harald Alvestrand
<harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --On 9. november 2006 07:20 -0800 "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Avri,
> > You make valid points. However, I assume that a company system
> > administrator has nothing to do with the IETF.
>
> That assumption is unfounded.
> Several of us run our IETF-related services out of non-corporate systems
> where the sysadmin is a volunteer, and very often an IETF-clued volunteer.
>
> (in my particular case, the sysadmin is myself - but there are other people
> who know what the IETF is who also have the root password, Just In Case....)

Indeed.  I run a machine that happens to host several IETF-related
mailing lists and a web site; Randy Bush's machine was and is even more
heavily used that way.  Two former members of the I* have the root word
to my machine; the same is true for Randy's.

More to the point, the thought that companies are not interested in the
IETF or the Nomcom is a myth --a pleasant myth, but a myth nevertheless.
There's a reason why there's now a ban on too many Nomcom members from
the same company.