RE: WG Review: Recharter of Internet Emergency Preparedness (iepr ep)

There are several important requirements that are specific to military and
governmental needs that are emerging or were outside the current charter's
scope.  These requirements, I believe, include items such as ensured timely
delivery of critical communications in an environment where security
concerns (e.g., encryption) and QoS requirements must simultaneously be met.
People may be considering the passing of RSVP messages over different
security domains that may influence security (perhaps by aiding traffic
analysis or introducing a covert channel).  If you think that type of work
is ill advised, for example, then your best chance of voicing that opinion
is here at the IETF.  The requirements aren't going away and people will be
acting on them the best way they know how.   Your best opportunity to bring
the tradeoffs to light is here at the IETF.

In my experience, the ITU is working on a Next Generation Network, with an
IMS type set of assumptions.  This doesn't necessarily fit military or
government networks.  While I am in favor of working with the ITU, I think
it would be a mistake to shut this working group down.

Kimberly