Re: nomcom and confidentiality

Hi,

on 2006-11-07 05:37 Harald Alvestrand said the following:
> I think some of Laksminath's concern is valid.
> But I think the solution to the problem is simple:
>
> Make it publicly known who is on the technical staff that supports the
> Nomcom, and make it clear that these people:
>
> 1) May learn Nomcom information as a side effect of their technical work to
> support Nomcom
> 2) Have promised not to reveal that information to others, and have
> promised not to take any other action based on that information (apart from
> fixing technical problems)
>
> This is analogous to the role of an email postmaster: He *can* read any
> mail on the system, if he really wants to, but we trust him to not *do* it
> - or, if he has to during debugging, we trust him to "forget" what he's
> read.
>
> I trust that Henrik thought this was "so obvious it didn't need mentioning".

For both the moral and confidentiality side of this, certainly, but I did
in fact read through 3777 and did discuss this with Ralph (NomCom 05 chair)
before taking on the work last year.  I particularly noted the content
of Section 10 of RFC 3777, and considered it applicable for the role
of providing this service to the NomCom and community.

	Henrik