Re: WG Review: Recharter of Internet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I don't believe the new charter of ieprep working group belongs in the
> IETF.  I understand why we chartered it here, and I believe that by
> doing as much work as we have done so far in the IETF, we have done
> something useful.  We've described the broad problem and have helped
> to explain how it fits in the Internet context.  That was an important
> thing for us to do.

I think I'll agree with Sam.  Having looked at the output of the WG,
it already seems to include a couple of useful framework documents and
about 4 requirements documents.  This should already provide
sufficient information how to continue the work.

What isn't clear to me is what's the deployment level of these
frameworks and various mechanisms.  We seem to have spent at least
~4 years on this.  Overprovisioning and intra-domain TE seems to
have been a popular approach, but apart from that, where has this been
deployed and how?

Maybe we should let ITU, vendors, and/or deploying organizations to
apply the existing techniques and frameworks, let this rest for 5
years and then come back to look if there is something more to be said
on the subject.