RE: Last Call: 'DNSSEC Lookaside Validation (DLV)' to Informational RFC (draft-weiler-dnssec-dlv)

I disagree.

The ISC document makes it very clear that it is an implementation description, not a normative specification and that it is copyright ISC and not the IETF. Any casual resemblence the document might have to an RFC or draft is illusory.

If someone was stating 'I have read the drafts and I have identified the following issue that will lead to incompatibility' the issue might be worth IESG time.

When the statement is "I haven't compared draft-weiler-dnssec-dlv-01 with the ISC tech note closely, but since the text is different it seems likely that implementations based on one would likely differ from those" it should go straight to the bit bucket. People complain about 'I haven't read the draft but...' comments in IETF meetings. At least there there is the excuse that there is a limited time to raise an issue that might just have occurred to you. On a mailing list there is really no excuse for not taking the time to do the comparison.

The acknowledgements sections both cite the authors of the other document. I see no reason to assume that the groups have not been in communication. They state that this is the case.

Since an individual submission is not a standard it would appear to be allowable for the documents to be inconsistent even if they were both submitted for publication as an RFC.

Too many people are relying on the IESG to do too much. The Internet is rather more robust than people imagine.

If someone wants to stop a draft they MUST be required to provide an objective, testable explanation of the objection.

Networking specs describing changes to a twenty year old infrastructure designed as experimaental are always going to be complex and there will always be the possibility of unanswered questions.

There might be a problem here, but it is rather more important for the IESG to protect their time by insisting that objectors put at least as much time into consider the issue as they are expected to.