Re: [Nea] UPDATED: WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

"Mike Fratto" <mfratto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At a very high level, this isn't much different than RADIUS, which
> defines the data formats and protocols between a network access device
> such as modem pool and the RADIUS server. Vendor specific attributes
> are supported and the standards don't attempt to provide
> *meaning*--that is left upto the vendor defining the specific
> attributes.

  To put it another way, many network access protocols (DHCP, RADIUS,
etc.)  have been doing posture assessment and network access control
for a very long time.  The concepts behind NEA are not new.

  The new part in NEA is the desire to do *more* than what the current
access protocols have to offer.  Even if NEA was to leverage existing
protocols to their fullest extent, we would *still* need a
standardized way to exchange the data needed to implement the "more"
part of NEA.

  Alan DeKok.