Re: with merit?

    Robert> OK. I want to write a document that makes MTI a
    Robert> non-requirement for HTTP1.1-based protocols, because I
    Robert> believe that is the consensus in the HTTP community. How
    Robert> do I get that done?

You start by writing a draft.
It would need to be  targeted at a BCP.

You ask people to discuss your draft.  Get consensus in the HTTP
community.

Then, try and get broader discussion.  Eventually, if you get enough
support, ask an apps or security AD to sponsor the document.  There
are some tricky issues surrounding internal IESG process because
currently, it takes at least one person who believes a document is a
good idea to bring it before the IESG.  However if you get sufficient
IETF consensus that it is clear the document needs to be considered
we'll find a way to do that.

Now, I do think you will be fighting an up-hill battle.  I strongly
disagree with what you are trying to do.  A lot of other people do to;
we will all try and build a consensus against you.

However, I at least, and I think everyone on the IESG will strongly
support your ability to try and build a consensus and to make sure
that your ideas and drafts are given fair consideration.