Re: [Nea] WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

Ted Hardie <hardie@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 10/08/2006 11:45:37 PM:

> [snip]

> my sense is that the very core of this work is a perceived
> need to be able to pass opaque strings between a host and the network
> prior to the host attaching.

Yes, that is the essence of this work which is what we need to remember and focus on. It will probably be applied for various purposes.

> Those opaque strings are, essentially,
> the vendor-specific strings currently associated with posture assessment.
> The standard protocol carrying these strings would connect on the network
> side to a system that has plug-ins which understand the vendor-specific
> strings.
>
> With a charter that clarified that this was intended to assist the end
> systems with vulnerabilities prior to attachment because the
> network they are attaching to might be filled with danger, I
> think this work would get done reasonably quickly. (As a control
> mechanism to protect the network, I agree with the point made
> clearly by others that this is not appropriate).

There seems to be confusion as two why people would want to do this. In one sense we can protect things by not giving compromised endpoints access to network-attached resources, including parts of the network itself. This application has caused significant discussion as to the security of the protocol and solutions using it, which promises to be a subject of debate for the near future.

Another way of looking at this is that it allows customers to use the network to enforce endpoint compliance to policy and provide a convenient "place" to challenge endpoints, collect data from them, thus providing an audit trail.

> I am less sure of the task of standardizing attributes.
>
> I am not sure that the number of attributes which can be standardized
> will ever be high enough to be truly useful, and I am pretty sure
> that all of these will be already covered by vendor-specific attributes.
> Since there must be an assessor in place on the client for those few
> standardized attributes to be assessed and that assessor will likely already
> have these covered by vendor-specific attributes, in other words,
> we seem to be standardizing redundancy.  On the network attachment
> side, it is possible, of course, that an offer of remediation could be made
> based on just the standard attributes, but it seems far more likely that
> it would be a two step process (assess standard attributes, then pass
> vendor-specific attributes to vendor plug-in).  Again, if the vendor's
> attributes cover the standard attributes, then this is largely redundant
> and may add measurable latency; it seems far more likely that
> step one would simply be skipped if there were a vendor-specific string
> and an available plug-in. Since there has to be an assessor, the first
> seems very likely to me.  If you don't have a vendor's plug-in, then
> I suppose there is some chance that you will trust and act based on
> the standard
> attributes, but the chance of getting the right remediation seems
> pretty slight in those circumstances.  Especially when many vulnerabilities
> are a combination of conditions, (Browser version Foo on OS patch level Bar)
> that you could remediate by upgrading either one, checking for and
> acting on the attributes which could be standardized seems of very, very
> limited utility.

Standardized VS vendor-specific attributes is not something that needs to be solved today. Solutions can start with vendor-specific and migrate toward a standard, if one develops, without changing the protocol. The specification should not preclude the addition of standardized attributes. IE the specification is like an alphabet, attributes are like vocabulary. You can add new words without changing the letters.

>             Ted Hardie

Frank Yeh