Re: [Nea] WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

Jeff -
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Hutzelman" <jhutz@xxxxxxx>
To: "todd glassey" <tglassey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Narayanan, Vidya"
<vidyan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <iesg@xxxxxxxx>; <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <nea@xxxxxxxx>; "Jeffrey Hutzelman" <jhutz@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 1:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Nea] WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

> > Ah two new terms of Art - "Posture" and "Devices".
>
> I only see one.  I believe "device" is a fairly well-understood term,
> though perhaps "node" would have been more appropriate in this context.
>
> However, I completely agree that this proposed charter uses the term
> "posture" far too often not to define it.  I fail to see how whether my
> computer is sitting upright or lying on its side is relevant to whether it
> should be allowed access to the network.
>
> -- Jeff

OK Devices is really well defined in both a technical and legal sense per
the Device based Frauds Act - the little brother of the CFAA. But in this
instance I wanted to bring out the use of the misnomer "Posture" relative to
a Device.

The Device is what it is. The Posture is clearly a term for Operating Policy
which includes change management, security/integrity proofing, and the
general state-response policies that make up the controls and processes for
the Entity in question.

The problem we both saw was the indiscriminant use of the term Posture to
define a group of policies which were specific to a number of things that
the Charter was trying to lay claim to.

I don't necessarily think the NEA is a bad idea - but its about auditing and
so it needs to be crafted as an audit tool and use audit speak in the
process IMHO.

Todd Glassey