Re: As Promised, an attempt at 2026bis

--On Tuesday, 03 October, 2006 17:21 +0200 Brian E Carpenter
<brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John,
>
>> Or, perhaps I'm completely wrong about the sense of the
>> community.  But I would suggest and ask that, before any more
>> of these documents are pushed or Last Called, you try to
>> determine the degree to which the community just does not
>> want to deal with these issues for a while.
>
> As said in my note sent on 2006-08-10, my conclusion after
> Montreal
> was essentially the same as yours:
>
>> 1.1. There is insufficient pressure and energy in the
>> community to justify the effort of reaching consensus on
>> formal changes to the standards process at this time.

And that was why I was a bit surprised to see you suggesting
finding an AD to sponsor, and presumably Last Call, your draft.

> My intention is to use the current list discussion to confirm
> or refute this conclusion.

Good.  If we disagree, it is only on what a "formal change"
constitutes.  I would consider an in-depth summary of what is
wrong with 2026 (at least on any basis other than a personal
informational opinion piece) and any attempt to replace 2026
with a version that reflects current practice to be such formal
changes, if only because they would require almost the same
level of effort in review and consensus-finding as actually
changing the process.  But some might disagree.

thanks,
   john