Re: Last Call: 'Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain)

On Thursday, September 28, 2006 07:32:17 AM +1000 Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Except it doesn't say "label"; that's your interpretation.  I grant it
is  an entirely reasonable interpretation, and in fact the alternate
interpretation that was suggested is not one that would have occurred to
me.

	Well for this option to encode a TLD it would have to
	encode 2 label.

True, but that is a subtlety that is lost on most people.

	As for "domain name suffix" while I can't remember seeing
	a formal definition.  In the DNS world it is any domain
	name appended to a unqualified or partially qualified domain
	name to create a fully qualified domain name.

Except among people who use it to mean "TLD", which does seem to be a common usage. I have seen this usage on the web sites of domain registars. There are clearly multiple uses here, and which one the reader assumes will depend on his background and possibly other factors.

	Now the DNS RFC's always talk about both wire and presentation
	formats.  The option itself is a domain name in uncompress
	DNS wire format.

Yes; I think the reference makes that reasonably clear, particularly if one is already familiar with what is currently common practice in DHCP and the DNS. But as has been pointed out, not all of the readers of this document will have that background.

Basically, if John Klensin misinterpreted your document, and Dave Crocker did, and I did, that's at least three readers with at least some familiarity with the concepts involved for whom the document was not clear enough. IMHO, that's enough to suggest it could use some clarification.

-- Jeff