RE: Facts, please, not handwaving [Re: Its about mandate RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process]

Eliot/Brian,

	This, I think, is part of the problem.

	To say that "it is well understood that the Internet mainly
runs on Proposed Standards," is to indulge in over-simplification.
And to say "we are not actually following our documented process"
- is to focus on the meta-issues when the problem is with what is
documented in the RFCs themselves, in many cases.

	One of the useful features of the current "process" is that
it means the community has one or two opportunities to insist that
what is technically documented is in alignment with reality.  For
many of the most important RFCs, it takes more than competence and
an RFC to implement what's actually going to work in the Internet.
A significant amount of the time it either takes lab testing, some
snooping on what goes on the wire, some reverse engineering and at
least one more iteration of lab testing - or it takes being on the
"inside track" in dominant (or early) implementation.

	One of the reasons why it _looks_ like "the Internet mainly
runs on Proposed Standards," is that the people who know about the
difference between what's technically done, and what's technically
documented, have no real incentives to get involved in efforts to
document what they know - thus letting future competitors have the
information for free.  This is - I believe - a key factor in why
most Proposed Standards do not progress to Draft Standard.

	This factor has come up repeatedly in the efforts to advance
Proposed Standards that I've been involved in, and it usually adds
years to the process.

	But another factor is that we (as in the IETF) aren't usually
satisfied with just documenting what is really being done.  For one
reason or another, many of us would like to "fix" the Standard to -
for example - make it consistent with protocols and specifications
we've developed since then, even if that means documenting protocol
behaviors that are inconsistent with what is really being done.

	These factors just adds to the burden.  Because it is not easy
to progress along the standards track, many (if not most) Proposed
Standards only roughly document what the Internet runs on.

	I would argue that "Proposed Standard" as the end-of-the-line
in our standardization process is just wrong.  I certainly can see
an argument for merging "Proposed" and "Draft" - but there are lots
of indications that even the simplified one-step process of moving
from Draft to full Standard would not get done much of the time.

	There are examples of ways to deal with this difficulty from
other standards groups.  The issue we need to decide as a group is
whether we're happy with our (slightly) imperfect process, or we
would like to adopt (and/or modify) someone else's.

--
Eric