Re: Todd Glassey ban -- pretty please?

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:02:02AM +0200, Jefsey_Morfin wrote:
> What is necessary, now the doubt is here and Brian has good support,
> is to find a way out. As an external user interested in the impact of
> the IETF deliverables - as a technology maintenance center - I
> observe that most of the tensions are between most who want to
> protect existing recipes and build on top of what is deployed, and
> those who want the best solutions now, even in rebuilding from
> scratch what is wrong or outdated.

This may or may not be true, but it is completely irrelevant to the
matter at hand with respect to Mr. Glassey's behaviour.  To quote from
RFC-3005:

   In addition to the topics noted above, appropriate postings include:

    - Last Call discussions of proposed protocol actions
    - Discussion of technical issues that are candidates for IETF work,
      but do not yet have an appropriate e-mail venue
    - Discussion of IETF administrative policies
    - Questions and clarifications concerning IETF meetings
    - Announcements of conferences, events, or activities that are
      sponsored or endorsed by the Internet Society or IETF.

   Inappropriate postings include:

    - Unsolicited bulk e-mail
    - Discussion of subjects unrelated to IETF policy, meetings,
      activities, or technical concerns
    - Unprofessional commentary, regardless of the general subject
    - Announcements of conferences, events, or activities that are not
      sponsored or endorsed by the Internet Society or IETF.

In the judgement of many, but most importantly including both
Sergeant-at-Arms, Mr. Glassey's has crossed the line in terms of
inappropriate mail postings in multiple messages, forming a pattern of
abuse.  To quote further from RFC-3005:

   The IETF Chair, the IETF Executive Director, or a sergeant-at-arms
   appointed by the Chair is empowered to restrict posting by a person,
   or of a thread, when the content is inappropriate and represents a
   pattern of abuse.  They are encouraged to take into account the
   overall nature of the postings by an individual and whether
   particular postings are an aberration or typical.  Complaints
   regarding their decisions should be referred to the IAB.

Mr. Glassey has been warned twice now, and has rejected more gentle
messages intended to dissuade him from continueing his abusive
behavior.  If he persists, appropriate action will be taken to
restrict his posting rights per RFC-3005/BCP-45.

Regards,

						- Ted