From: "Noel Chiappa" <jnc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>; <tglassey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <jnc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process rather than
some

>     > From: "todd glassey" <tglassey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>     > Why cant the IETF and IESG Embrace open elections
>
> Because the members are generally happy with the system we have now.

No Noel - only some members of this limited WG are happy - most members of
the IETF have no idea what's being done here or have any idea how it affects
them

> It's
> called democracy - and you're outvoted.

Are you stoned - this is nothing like a democracy and your pompous
commentary says everything I need to hear about your stance here Acedemic
Dude. Its a very small pool of opinions of which NONE of the SPONSORS are
included.

> Remember, we had this system for quite a while before the last major
rework
> of the process (i.e. we'd all seen it in action for some years, and were
able
> to judge how well was working), and the outcome of that rework was a
> standards document - i.e. something suject to community approval, i.e.
> democracy -

Sorry Noel - this is not a democracy and that is what is wrong with it. I
bet that if you asked all of the IETF's WG Members whether they wanted to
convert the Management of the IETF to a Membership-based Vote they would say
YES. In fact I ran a small survey and got a 97% YES response. 97%...

> which made adjustments, but retained the basic framework. If
> people weren't generally happy with that basic framework, it would have
been
> obvious at the Last Call of the document.

No, sorry Academia-Boy - what would have been obvious is that the very
limited number of people working on these documents seem to take perverse
pleasure in recreating other's worlds - your commentary and its arrogance
are the basis of everything that is wrong with the IETF IMHO.

> IMO, the IETF has some significant problems, but the process for selecting
> people for leadership positions isn't one of them.

Yes it is. As is the accountability and performance issues - they are all
tied to the same set of controls in the workflow.

But hey - I have met many Acedemic Parties that use the IETF as their
publishing house to allow them to continue publishing which is critical to
their performance and continued space in the non-working world.

> Now please stop beating this dead horse, on which you obviously don't have
> much support.

You mean support from those people that any changes to the IETF threaten?