Re: what happened to newtrk?

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, John C Klensin wrote:
> --On Thursday, 07 September, 2006 20:11 -0400 Sam Hartman wrote:
> > OK.  I read RFC 2026 as giving the IESG the latitude to make a
> > judgment of the technical quality of a protocol (and the TS)
> > when advancing along the standards track.  I'd always assumed
> > that the IESG should include factors like security in that
> > determination--not just interoperability.  Heck, I even
> > assumed it was reasonable to have a higher bar for spec
> > clarity at DS than PS.
>
> I think both of those (spec quality and factors like security)
> are useful and important.  But 2026 seems very clear on this
> subject:
>
> > 4.1.2  Draft Standard
> >
> >    A specification from which at least two independent and
> >    interoperable implementations from different code bases
> >    have been developed, and for which sufficient successful
> >    operational experience has been obtained, may be elevated
> >    to the "Draft Standard" level.  For the purposes of this
> >    section, "interoperable" means to be functionally
> >    equivalent or interchangeable components of the system or
> >    process in which they are used.
> >    [...] Elevation to
> >    Draft Standard is a major advance in status, indicating a
> >    strong belief that the specification is mature and will be
> >    useful.
[ ... ]
> If the documents meet the published requirements for Draft, then
> they should be published at Draft.
>
> The recent practice in the IESG appears to have been closer to
> "if we don't like it or would not recommend it, it should not be
> published at all, especially on the standards track no matter
> how widely interoperable implementations are deployed".  I can
> find little support for that position in RFC 2026 or elsewhere.

I think that Mr Hartman is right and that Mr Klensin is mistaken.

As I read it, section 6 of RFC 2026 not only gives the IESG the
latitude to make a judgment of the technical quality of a
specification when advancing it along the standards track, but
actually REQUIRES the IESG to do so:

|6.  THE INTERNET STANDARDS PROCESS
|
|   The mechanics of the Internet Standards Process involve decisions of
|   the IESG concerning the elevation of a specification onto the
|   standards track or the movement of a standards-track specification
|   from one maturity level to another.  Although a number of reasonably
|   objective criteria (described below and in section 4) are available
|   to guide the IESG in making a decision to move a specification onto,
|   along, or off the standards track, there is no algorithmic guarantee
|   of elevation to or progression along the standards track for any
|   specification.  The experienced collective judgment of the IESG
|   concerning the technical quality of a specification proposed for
|   elevation to or advancement in the standards track is an essential
|   component of the decision-making process.
|6.1.2  IESG Review and Approval
|
|   The IESG shall determine whether or not a specification submitted to
|   it according to section 6.1.1 satisfies the applicable criteria for
|   the recommended action (see sections 4.1 and 4.2), and shall in
|   addition determine whether or not the technical quality and clarity
|   of the specification is consistent with that expected for the
|   maturity level to which the specification is recommended.

//cmh