Re: Now there seems to be lack of communicaiton here...

I also share your discomfort with the nomcom chair's decision
to consult the IETF chair, although my discomfort falls short
of wanting to see some formal rule against it happening.

Well, let me observe that if there had been a formal rule,
it would have been observed. And as a matter of fact, it wasn't
Andrew who put me and the IAB Chair on copy - it was a person
who noticed the anomaly. I happened to be aware that the ISOC
President was on travel and Andrew turned out to be moving
house, and at the same time the secretariat was experiencing
sluggish mail queues (that problem is being addressed). So there
was quite a combination of circumstances this time.

Given this demonstration, I think some formal guidance that it
is inappropriate for the nomcom chair to seek procedural advice
from anyone who might be expected to be a candidate for
selection or re-selection.  But I have no idea how to write a
formal rule that would work, even if it were desirable... and
I'm not convinced that it would be desirable.

I believe there is another, related, gap that has bothered me
several times - there is nothing to indicate where the ISOC President
should look for advice and consultancy when needed. So although
it may take some debate, I think clarification in this area would be
desirable. I can't speak for other people, but it seems to me that
it's an obvious default for both the ISOC President and the Nomcom
chair to turn to the I* chairs when in doubt - we have suggested
nobody else except the previous Nomcom chair as a source
of advice. If we don't want that to be the default, we need to
provide an alternative.

    Brian