Fixing the algorithm

"The philosophers have analysed the IETF election process in many ways, the point is to change it"

If you are going to have a procedure like this it would be best to eliminate the influence of the listing process to the greatest extent possible, discussing this with my wife, a political scientist we came up with the following fix:

Instead of using the rank order in the list as the source of randomness use the email address specified by the candidate. Ie alice@xxxxxxxxxxx, bob@xxxxxxxxxxx etc.

Key = hash (data)

Take HMAC (email, key) for each candidate, list them in order, highest n candidates win.

If there is an eligibility problem it is easily sorted, if a person was on the original list who should not have been they are simply excluded, the result is unaffected.

If someone was excluded from the list you run a second seed event for that candidate alone, the scores already calculated are left unchanged. If their score placess them in the top n then they are selected.