Re: Last Call: 'Atom License Extension' to Experimental RFC (draft-snell-atompub-feed-license)

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> [snip]
>> An analogous scenario is when I distribute some piece of open
>> source software under the Apache license.  The zip I
>> distribute contains the ASF LICENSE file. It also happens to
>> contain jars for a number of dependencies from other
>> projects, all of which are individually licensed.
>
> Okay, but your license would cover something "real" in the zip,
> files you have created.  It's not only about your arrangement
> of content collected from 3rd parties.  Or is that precisely
> the idea of the rel="license" for a feed ?

Yes. I've clarified this in the next draft.  Feed licenses cover the
metadata of the feed including the selection and arrangement of entries.
 For instance, I may put up a service that automatically ranks blog
entries from various sites based on various criteria and produces a feed
that represents the top ten highest ranking entries.

> Then folks like me could need a hint that what they really want
> is a rel="license" for each of their own entries, because there
> is no global default.

Yes, hopefully I've clarified this in the new draft that should be
published shortly.

Thank you for taking the time to review the draft and offer comments.

- James