Re: [IAOC] Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

--On Wednesday, 26 July, 2006 12:38 -0700 Allison Mankin
<mankin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> My main object is for the RFP to say to a prospective RFC
> Editor that the delineation of the independent submission
> series will be under the  contract holder's management in some
> way, allowing input from the editor.   I want to urge this
> just because the RFC series is shared by four streams.  In
> justifying this before, I've talked mainly about the IETF
> stream because it is the one I know the best, but I could also
> detail taking this care for the others.  Anyway, here's a
> revised proposal for the text:
>
>  NEW NEW:
>        1) Edit and publish with the same steps as IETF
>	 community documents but with clear indications that
>	 these belong to an independent series.  Specifics of
> 	 these indications will be developed and authorized
>	 by an appropriate party to be determined, with input
>	 from the RFC Editor.

Since I have found myself in the uncomfortable position of being
temporary spokesperson for those whose views are somewhat more
conservative than mine, let me suggest, as a clarification what
this would look like if done from a more traditional view
(please see many earlier comments to clarify the use of
"conservative" and "traditional"):

		... When documents are published at the request of the
		IETF community, including for this purpose the IAB and
		IRTF, include clear indications about the status and
		origin of these documents.  Develop appropriate
		indications in conjunction with the requesting bodies...

Explanation:

(1) The steps are actually not the same although many of them
are parallel.

(2) It is reasonable, natural, and appropriate for the IETF
community to put whatever language it thinks appropriate into
documents in its stream(s), subject only to constraints about
truth in advertising.

(3) It is appropriate for IETF bodies to provide advice to the
RFC Editor about text to be placed in non-IETF documents.  It is
not reasonable, either historically or going forward, for the
IETF to determine or dictate such text.

    john