RE: Meetings in other regions

> On Monday, July 17, 2006 10:11:07 AM -0400 Jeffrey Altman
> <jaltman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For me Paris and Montreal were the
> > two worst meetings I have experienced in ten years because of the
> > separation of the IETF hotel from the meeting locations and the in
> > ability to provide network access in the hotel public spaces.  My
> > productivity dropped significantly because of those failures.
>
> While I agree with most of what Jeff said, I have to comment on this.

The network access in the Delta was a problem. But the Montreal Venue was
excellent. Well worth the minor walk. The city was marvelous. I'd easily
vote to go back again. This potential pattern of one meeting in Canada one
in the US and the other in Euro/Asia-Pac is working out very well.

> However, the conference centers in both Paris and Montreal had excellent
> meeting facilities.  The network last week was fabulous, and as Jeff
> pointed out in a message to the WG chairs list, Paris was where we first
> discovered the utility of having a few extra wireless mics for supporting
> round-table discussion.
>

> > The best IETF meetings from my perspective are those held in
> > Minneapolis.  The hotel understands what we need.  The lounge and bar
> > areas are smoke free and plentiful.  There is accessible food via the
> > habitrails.  Things just work.
>
> I strongly agree.  We've been away from Minneapolis for too long.

Gag .. Yes the Hilton in MN is nearly the perfect physical venue but frankly
enough is enough.  There are many other US cities with comparable
facilities. It makes a lot of sense to move the meetings around the vast
majority of us do like the opportunity to experience a different city from
time to time.