Re: My notes on draft-carpenter-newtrk-questions-00.txt

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Eric Rosen wrote:
> The focus on document relationships rather than on simplifying
> the standards track is what (well, is one of the things)  that
> sent newtrk off into the weeds.

I completely agree.

> Frankly, I don't care if someone on a desert island cannot
> figure out from the RFCs alone how to implement some protocol.
> I just don't see that as a problem we have to solve.  Anyway,
> implementing a protocol requires so much more knowledge than can
> be obtained from the RFCs that no amount of messing with the
> document strategy is going to have any impact on the ability of
> our castaway to become a successful implementer.

Very well said.  As I said in my message of 18 June, my advice would
be to make a relatively minor set of clarifications to BCP 9 (RFC
2026) and move on.  It would also be OK for newtrk to refocus on its
original charter of simplifying the standards track.  But I would be
very dismayed to see it focus on document relationships.

Mike Heard