Re: Comments on draft-carpenter-newtrk-questions-00.txt

Pekka Savola wrote:
> Some of this would in fact usually be documenting the product bugs
> that were caused by ambiguous or incorrect specification.  You're
> right that once you've figured out a way to fix a spec problem in YOUR
> implementation, there may be marginal interest in fixing it in the
> spec.  However, I believe doing so will reduce the load on customer
> support (and ultimately also engineering which will need to answer the
> escalated support issues), because many of the support issues are
> actually caused by interoperability between different products or
> vendors.

I'm not saying don't fix interoperability problems that actually have
impact in a two-step approach.  In fact if there *are* interoperability
problems, that's an argument to recycle the spec, IMHO.  I am saying
that having that as a formal requirement demonstrably deters people from
actually doing the work.  Doing that function survey is pain in the butt.

Eliot