Re: Meetings in other regions

Meetings cost a lot of IETF money and some times that cost doesn't allow to
provide the revenues to sustain IETF. That's why we need to plan ahead and
as cheap/convenient as possible.

This meeting has been an exception because we even got money to come here.
Some other meetings venues, often only un NA, don't charge for the meeting
rooms. Also in NA may be we pay more for the food, because breakfast is not
included in the hotel guest room cost, while in other locations is included
and thus IETF doesn't to pay for that. So at the end ... is not so easy as
it may seem !

Also we need to rely as much as possible, if available, in local volunteer
people willing to help even in the negotiations. That can save money and I
know very well an example of a failed situation because the local volunteer
was ignored, which we should avoid repeating in the future :-(

Saludos,
Jordi

> De: Pekka Savola <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Responder a: <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx>
> Fecha: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 04:56:15 +0300 (EEST)
> Para: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> CC: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
> Asunto: Re: Meetings in other regions
>
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>> Just to give some extra *valuable* info about my comment in the plenary.
>> 1) Meetings cost money. Doing meetings in Latin America/Caribbean and
>> Africa, will save a lot of cost to IETF as an organization.
>> 5) There have been already some offers to sponsor meetings there (even if I
>> believe the sponsorship should be changed from what we have now, but this is
>> a different topic).
>
> No doubt some parts of such a meeting cost would be cheaper.
> Actually meetings don't "cost" IETF money though, as Ray's slides
> showed, meeting revenues are higher expenses.  Perhaps the bottom line
> (facilities cost, food/beverages, sponsorship, hosting expenses,
> network connectivity, etc.) has not been significantly different from
> a more traditional and less risky location or logistics haven't worked
> out.
>
> Personally, I have no particular desire to meet in Africa or Latin
> America/Caribbean but if the IAOC feels that makes a significant
> difference financially I'd have no problem with it.  They've been
> chosen to make that call so that we don't need to worry about it.
>
> --

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org