Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Additionto ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

Hi -

(draft-ash-alt-formats)
> What is unique about the work of the IETF that it does not need graphics
> to produce precision specifications when the other SDOs do?

Though other organizations use fancy graphics to various degrees,
in the cases where I have first-hand experience (ITU, ISO, DMTF) it's not
clear to me that they actually *needed* to use them.  I think the UML
diagrams that pervade CIM are a good demonstration of how the "need"
to use graphics indicates that something else isn't quite right.

As for traditional mathematical notation, I think resorting to it for
all but the simplest formulas, e.g. "y =(m * x) + b)", often
does a grave disservice to all readers who are not mathematicians.

Randy