RE: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in AdditiontoASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

> In point of fact the above license is exactly the form of license that
Sun attempted to sue Microsoft over.

This is one of those rare cases (a previous one being Sun vs. Microsoft
over Java)
where IPR is being used to advance standardization, rather than to
hinder it.

When an IPR holder party uses its leverage to ensure that a major player
does not hijack a popular platform by creating a proprietary variant,
it is in our interest, and does not threaten us in any way.

Were there to be a party with IPR on ASCII
who allowed its unlimited use unless someone insisted on interchanging
the codes of several letters,
would you insist that we not use ASCII ?

Y(J)S