Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

>There is a reason it did not result in change... there were cogent
>arguments against all proposals that were made.

I thought that some of the arguments were just arguments against
change, and some of the arguments did argue for a change in the
experiment but not that the experiment was bad per se.

>How DID it get last called, by the way?

I evaluated the document, the discussion, the feedback from the
stakeholders, and decided that a Last Call would be a good
forcing function to make sure we have a real discussion about it.
I think the idea has promise.

>How will a future implementor know which version is normative?

Presumably, the documents will include a note, something like "This
document is part of an experiment described in RFCnnnn; unlike all other
RFCs, the PDF version of this document is normative".  Thanks for pointing
out that the experiment description forgot to mention that.

>As Joel mentions, this experiment will have a negative impact on
>RFC Editor throughput.

I didn't quite buy Joel's argument.  If the author can generate ASCII
from his source that matches the RFC-Editor's edited ASCII, and then
generates the PDF from the same source, where does the extra verification
come in?

>...and the implications need more mature thought.

If all we get when discussing on the ietf list is knee-jerk reactions,
where is this more mature thought going to come from?

  Bill