Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

The key question is whether there exists a format which is likely to be
sufficiently stable that we won't have to revisit this decision in
another 35 years. All the proposed formats - including PDF, XML, etc. -
are moving targets at this time.

That's why I suggested GIF. Like ASCII, GIF has its shortcomings, but its definition hasn't changed in 16 years and I've never seen GIF software that doesn't interoperate.

I did want to distinguish between targets that someone else moves and targets we move. If we care, we can make sure that some variant of XML2RFC continues to work even if "XML is a moving target", so relying on our ability to process XML and produce RFCs in 35 years is probably pretty darned safe.

If someone else can move a target, that's more likely to be living dangerously, I think.

Thanks,

Spencer