Re: udp source address change

Wes Hardaker wrote:

> Protocols and implementations should generally respond using the
> address to which the request packet was sent.  That being said, there
> are sometimes protocol reasons not to do this and sometimes
> implementations don't necessarily handle things properly internally.
> But, I doubt most protocols ever specify the "legality" of what
> address is used to respond to a request.

RFC1035 says it a bug. So, it should be illegal.

   - Some name servers send their responses from different
     addresses than the one used to receive the query.  That is, a
     resolver cannot rely that a response will come from the same
     address which it sent the corresponding query to.  This name
     server bug is typically encountered in UNIX systems.

However, the "bug" is overcome by ID field provided in DNS.

SNMP is seemingly doing the same thing with request ID.

						Masataka Ohta