Re: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning JFC (Jefsey) Morfin

Dave Crocker writes:

> There is a basic difference between preventing the expression of an opinion,
> idea or the like, versus preventing what is effectively a denial of service
> attack on the conduct of group business.

Yes.  A denial of service attack is a technical attack on a server or
network that effectively halts or dramatically interferes with normal
traffic or transactions.  An expression of an opinion or idea never
does this.

> An organization like the IETF absolutely MUST encourage the former.  But it
> cannot survive any sustained amount of the latter.

Well, when the mailing list receives 200 messages a second from the
same source, certainly it can take action.  There are laws against
that sort of DoS in most jurisdictions.

> Yes, one can no doubt construct all sorts of scenarios that are in a gray area
> between the two.

No, there's no gray area between the two.  It's pretty easy to see
when a network is down or a server is stalled because of a DoS attack,
and it has nothing in common with an expression of opinion or ideas.

> In other words, the excesses that constitute a "violation" need to
> be huge.

No, they just need to be true DoS attacks, not expressions of
unpopular opinions that are being falsely characterized as DoS attacks
in order to rationalize censorship.

> It is difficult to imagine any reasonable person looking at the
> particulars of the current case and having even the slightest doubt
> that things are far, far beyond any possible gray area.

I don't see any DoS.  I don't think anyone expressing an opinion can
type fast enough to create one.