Re: suggestion on distributed systems

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:44:11AM +0530,
 Neil Harwani <neil.harwani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 128 lines which said:

> I am not sure whether this idea that I am about to write has been
> implemented before

The idea is interesting but it is clearly underspecified. Before a
serious discussion can take place, you really have to specify it more
completely. If you want the discussion to occur at the IETF, an
Internet-Draft is the proper form:

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html

Technically, I would suggest to think seriously about the Security
Considerations of your Internet-Draft...

> 1. Have a variable system built into all OSes which have internet
> interface which can allocate space and resources as per what amount
> of space and resources are free on the OS.

The big problem is to create a jail strong enough so that the hosted
programs do not compromise or DoS the machine. This is *not* a trivial
problem.

> Example : Suppose a server of paypal has to process millions of
> records every month. If a high percentage of this processing is
> encrypted and sent to container on various systems running on
> internet, the same work can be done with less powerfull paypal
> servers.

Very bad example: first, all Paypal requests require access to the
central database. And, second, Paypal would certainly not trust random
Internet machines for its processing.