Re: Wireless at IETF

In message <20060118185700.GS96731@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ted Faber writes:

>On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:30:31AM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>> The result is that 70% of wireless access points are open and can be
>> used by Internet criminals to achieve anonymous access.
>
>Loaded statement?  Check.
>Precise statement? Check.
>Supported statement? Hmmmm.....

I'm not sure which part your claiming is unsupported; my own informal
measurements agree with the 70% number.  I'm not at all convinced that
"Internet criminals" use such access points as a major means of access,
though.

However, Phillip's larger point -- that our security mechanisms and
products have lousy user interfaces -- is absolutely correct.  It's a
major issue.