RE: Wireless at IETF

That is solving the problem for ourselves only.

802.11 is a classic case of what happens when unfinished technology is thrown at consumers.

Think about VLSI manufacture, thirty or so production steps each with a finite chance of error. If you have a 5% error rate at each stage your overall yield drops to 20%

Computers are much more complex than VLSI manufacture, the explanations of the technology are much worse than 95% accurate.

All my hardware is allegedly capable of doing WPA or 801.X. I have not got the slightest idea what I would have to do to enable it though, or how it would work, or what the authentication process would be.

It is unfortunate that the cryptographic failures in WEP obscured the much more significant usability failures. The wireless world still does not 'get' it.

The result is that 70% of wireless access points are open and can be used by Internet criminals to achieve anonymous access.