Re: Binary Choices?

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:57:56PM -0500, Gray, Eric wrote:

> Usually, before you can actually seek consensus, you must have an
> essentially "binary" choice.  It is hard enough to reach consensus
> on simple choices without turning up the process noise by having a
> plethora of possible choices.

I disagree here.  The process of seeking consensus means you have to
sort *through* the plethora of possible choices, and see which ones
meets the needs and requirements of the stakeholder.  If you have a
binary choice, all you can really do is force a vote.  So hopefully by
the time that you come up to your last two choices, they hopefully
aren't "binary" in the sense of 0 and 1 being diametric opposites.
Hopefully the two or three final choices are pretty closely except for
a few minor details (and then we end up spending huge amount of time
arguing over those tiny details :-)

						- Ted